|A CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS for a POETRY ANTHOLOGY that CELEBRATES the U.P.
Raymond Luczak, a Yooper native (from Ironwood and Houghton) and author/editor of 30 books, is seeking new work for a new poetry anthology about experiencing Michigans Upper Peninsula (U.P.), which Modern History Press (MHP) will publish in the summer of 2024. Since 2017, MHP has published 28 books, in all genres, about the U.P. and is becoming known as a powerhouse press in the region.
Luczaks own canon includes Compassion, Michigan: The Ironwood Stories, Chlorophyll: Poems about Michigans Upper Peninsula and autobiographical works about growing up in the U.P., with titles such as Assembly Required and once upon a twin.
- Submit new poems of any length up to 12 pages. Reprints may be considered with proper credits noted, but new work is preferred.
- The submission should be in an MS Word-compatible file (.rtf, .doc, or .docx). No PDFs, please.
- In two to three sentences, please summarize your relationship to the U.P., including when and where you lived.
- In some discernible way, your poems should primarily focus on the experience of being a Yooper, whether in the past or currently. A goal of the anthology is to look beyond the well-recognized natural beauty of the U.P. and include the experience of rural and town life.
- Members of marginalized communities are highly encouraged to share work about their own Yooper experiences!
- Include a bio of up to 100 words, mentioning something about growing up Yooper and/or living currently in the U.P.
- Deadline is December 31, 2023. Additional consideration will be given to poems that arrive prior to deadline. Early submitters will receive notice well in advance of the deadline.
- Accepted poets will receive two contributors copies in paperback with the option to purchase unlimited copies at half-off suggested retail price. A pro forma contributors agreement must be completed by all accepted poets.
- Accepted works will be made available in paperback, hardcover, eBook and audiobook editions worldwide. The publisher will provide copies to the U.P. library system, as well.
Submissions and questions should be addressed directly to the collections editor, Raymond Luczak, at [email protected].